1. About Brazilian Jiu -Jitsu (BJJ)
2. The Benefits
3. Club Information
4. Instructor Information
5. Membership and Pricing
6. How to Join
About Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
Brazilian jiu-jitsu (BJJ) is a martial art focusing largely on grappling and ground fighting. It utilises natural body leverage and proper technique to obtain dominant control on the ground and, as a result, provides greater positions for striking or submission holds. BJJ has been proven, when used properly, to be an effective method for dealing with bigger, stronger opponents and has become increasingly popular. It can be trained for self defence and sport grappling. Translated as “the gentle art,” Brazilian jiu-jitsu focuses on using strength and technique in the most efficient way possible to control and overcome opponents of greater size, strength and aggression.
• Self defence & confidence - The Gracie Rules of engagement are the foundation on which the bully proof syllabus is based and are taught to the students throughout their training.
The Rules of engagement
1. Avoid the fight at all costs
2. If Physically attacked, defend yourself
3. If verbally attacked, follow the 3 T-Steps (Talk, Tell, Tackle)
4. Never punch or kick the bully. Establish control and negotiate.
5. When applying submissions, use minimal force and negotiate.
You will see your child engaging in a real life combat situation trying to grapple their way into a dominate position or escape an uncomfortable or compromising position. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu gives a child REAL confidence and a realistic way to defend themselves without ever having to punch or kick another person. They will learn how to effectively protect themselves from bullies regardless of any weight or size difference. Our programme is designed to promote self-confidence and self-esteem to give your child the courage to say NO to unhealthy choices despite peer pressure. Recent studies have shown that programmes that focus on personal achievement, such as Martial Arts, are vastly more effective in tackling social pressure issues than any other activity.
• Physical benefits - Bjj requires children to use their bodies as 1 unit increasing all over body strength, mobility, flexibility and stamina.
• Mental benefits - BJJ requires as much mental activity as it does physical. It is often likened to a game of physical chess. A technique is studies just like a school subject and learned to be physically applied. This process strengthens mental focus. The classes promote a positive attitude and the persistence to succeed. We get students saying “I Can rather than “I Can’t” when dealing with a problem or challenge.
• New Friends – The Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Class is a place where your child will make lifetime friends and learn to respect everyone in a group with mixed cultures. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is something that most people start and continue doing for the rest of their life. You will see your child grow and learn with friends that they met in Jiu-Jitsu class and kept for a lifetime.
• Provide your child with tangible goals – Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu will offer your child many fun and exciting incentives and give them the ability to earn striped promotions and progress through the IBJJF belt system. The environment of goal setting will teach your child how to set a goal and see the reward for doing the steps necessary for achieving that goal. This will translate into other areas of life such as academic and career related goals.
• Belt Stripes and Belt Promotions - Students receive a stripe on their belts at set times between grades to help them recognise and feel good about their progression. Each belt will receive four stripes and then following the fourth the next belt is given. For a student to be promoted to a new belt they must complete the following criteria.
Once a student is eligible for their next belt they will be awarded it either in class or at a club event we know they will be attending.
|White - Grey Belts||Yellow belt and above|
|Minimum Age||Minimum Age|
|Minimum Classes||Minimum Classes|
|Syllabus Technique Tested||Syllabus Technique Tested|
|Sparring ability evolved to the level of next promotion.||Sparring ability evolved to the level of next promotion.|
|One progress session per belt attended||Two progress sessions per belt attended
One competition and One progress session per belt attended
Grow Jiu jitsu are very proud to be an affiliate club of Mauricio Gomes the founder of Brazilian Jiu jitsu in the Uk. We also train & teach under the guidance of world silver medalist Kevin Capel and holder of black belt level under the greatest competitive grappler of all time, Roger Gracie himself. It’s the special attention to each child’s unique personality and needs that truly sets our instructors and assistants apart from the rest. Our club is built on a philosophy of personal attention and teaching excellence.
Teach your child to spot and avoid danger
While we wish it were not even a factor ... but we live in a world full of undesirable people and dangers, at Grow we will teach your child to spot and avoid danger. What to do in an emergency, basic first aid, fire safety, stranger awareness and many more. These invaluable skills will not only increase confidence themselves but may even save their lives.
Best of all your children will have FUN while they learn
Grow Jiu jitsu offer the keys to long-term success in a comprehensive, fun and exciting environment! Our carefully structured classes offer a constantly progressing syllabus designed to ensure variation and inspiring drills. This will help your child develop physically, mentally and socially. Your child will be surrounded by others that have similar goals and aspirations; they will develop positive friendships and healthy peer groups.
Experience: Natalie has been teaching full-time for 9 years and has been
training Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for 11 years. She trains under Mauricio Gomes & Roger Gracie at The Roger Gracie Academy HQ. She was awarded her brown belt in October 2020.
Major Titles Held:
• European Champion 2023
• Silver world NO GI champion 2019
• World bronze medalist 2017
• British national Jiu Jitsu Silver Medalist 2016
• European competitor 2016
• Regional gold medalist in the GI 2015
• Regional gold medalist NO GI 2015
Personal Goals: “To continue to progress on & off the mats. To travel to train & compete in the sport I love & share the knowledge & experience with my students."
Membership and Pricing
Mini Grapplers 4-8 years
- £32 per month 1 session per week
- £52 per month 2 sessions per week
- £15 add on for any extra classes
Juniors & Teens 9 years +
- £34 per month 1 session per week
- £56 per month 2 sessions per week
- £17 add on for any extra classes
**Classes run throughout the year for 48 weeks of the year.
**Payable to N Day • Sort code 20-26-23 • Account 73336751
How to Join
We truly hope that your child has enjoyed their taster session and that you are happy with the information provided regarding our team and its values. Following this if you would like for your child to become a Grow Jiu Jitsu member please complete the following steps.
Your child is welcome to a 2 week free trial. Please let the instructor know if your child would like to continue & they will discuss uniform options with you.
Set up the monthly standing order for the 1st of the next month to
*1 months cancellation notice is required in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org
Start enjoying the lifelong benefits that training with GROW JIU JITSU has to offer!!!
If you ever wish to discuss any matter regarding your child’s Martial Arts training then please do not hesitate to contact your instructor at any time. This is our job/our profession; we welcome any queries you may have.
Please stay up to date on all info by following us on Facebook - GROW JIU JITSU & Instagram - @growjiujitsu
Contact number: 07742 828613
Here at Grow jiu jitsu we operate uniform recycling. Please see the shop for all pre owned uniform. If your size is unavailable we will provide an alternative link for a new uniform.